Thursday, December 23, 2010

Following the Impulses of Dad

Our pastor recently talked about following the healthy impulses Dad lays on us at times and proceeded to share one of his own recently involving Berlin, Ohio(12th-Living in the Moment). He then shared an awesome video clip to illustrate this as well. In considering this, I had one of my own moments shortly after.

It was a recent snowy day we had on 12-16-10 and I had just dropped off my youngest son and niece to preschool. This is when I normally go home until I have to pick them up from school a couple hours later. On this particular day though, due to the weather-induced slow and hazardous driving conditions and on what I would shortly recognize as a Dad-given impulse, I opted instead to stop in at the local Tim Horton’s to fill the remaining time. I felt this was an impulse moment rather quickly for, as anyone who knows me pretty well can attest to, I don’t normally do this sort of thing.

After going in and ordering a breakfast burrito, TRIPLE chocolate donut(yeah, I know!), and a bottle of water, I sat down at a small booth on one side of the room. I was coming near the end of my stop finishing up my water when nothing unusual had really happened, making me begin to realize that perhaps this stop was my own impulse.

As I finished the water and got ready to get up, a sign across the room caught my attention. It was a picture of an individual playing a sport with a #1 on the back of his jersey. The #1 played into a phrase on the board that I initially thought said “Making one is the #1 reason to play.” Not making a lot of sense to me, I got ready to get up to go across the room to read it more closely since I suspected my 20/40 vision was failing me from this distance.

As I got ready to though, the image came in instantly clear and read “Having fun is the #1 reason to play.” Recalling the moment of impulse combined with my momentary supernatural ability to make out the “writing on the wall” prompted me to sit and reflect on the moment a bit.

To get me where I currently am on my life journey with Dad, He has been gradually reintroducing me to my “inner child.” You know, the individual I once was before “life” happened. He has been trying to reclaim for me the healthy naivety I had regarding Him, myself, and others before life and the enemy sucked it out of me.

In a loving, yet firm, way He keeps telling me how much more powerful I can be for Him, myself, and others when I allow Him to restore me back to this. It is through this process that I will gradually be able to “see”(remember the moment of clear vision?)Him and His work in ways never encountered before.

In other words, in the way I would eventually restate the writing on the wall, “Having fun is the best way to play in the game of life.” Dad allowed me to restate it to make it personal because I believe love is the #1 REASON to play, but having fun while loving is the best way to love.

In reading this, maybe you feel Dad’s impulse to either tap or re-tap you back into your inner child as well. If that is the case, take a moment after reading this to ask Him to come love and enjoy you and then just be still for a few minutes to listen to what He has for you.

You can do this for a minute or longer, consciously, or during a nap or sleep. If you entertain this while napping or sleeping, invite Him into your dreams to love and enjoy you, ask Him to protect you from the enemy as He comes, and then to help you remember and interpret anything He gives you during your time together.

If you entertain this or have any other similar moments with Dad you wish to share, feel free to do so. Oh, and start calling Him Dad if you wish and see how that might revolutionize your relationship with Him as well. As always, thanks for reading, I would appreciate your continued prayer, and may He continue to bless you all richly.

No comments:

Post a Comment