Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Crazy!.....Like a Dove

That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life, whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing?  Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?  Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?  And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.  And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?  So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear? These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.  Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.  So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.....Matthew 6:25-34

The advice contained above is often easier said than done, and in the current season my family and I are in where it often seems we are being asked by Dad to do more in regards to advancing the kingdom than our tangible budget appears to be able to handle, its often more so. 

Having said that, Dad came to me in a dream recently concerning this.  In the dream, our boys were at my mom’s house.  They became hungry and let my mom know.  My mom responded by giving them a credit card to get what they needed. 
For many obvious reasons, I had a reaction of shock.  Interestingly though, it had nothing to do with them being kids and whether or not they would even know what a credit card is or how to use it.  It was more of “Mom! What are you doing?  Don’t you realize they won’t use it for just what they NEED?”
I was even more surprised though when my mom seemed to not share my concern, they did use it solely for what they needed and then gave it back, and this whole series of events went down as smoothly and naturally as if my boys had asked me for it…..or would it have went down the same?.....and Dad soon revealed to me that is the point!  My reaction to this series of events revealed more about me than them. 
As dad, am I always as open to meeting others needs as I should be, or does the concern of having what it takes(physically, mentally, and/or spiritually)hinder that at times?  This relationship of exchange does often seem to go more naturally between grandparents and children versus parents and children, for reasons parents reading this can relate to.  I believe Dad showed me this though to reveal that He’d like to strike more of a balance in His relationship with us that combines elements of both the loving responsibility of a parent with the freedom that often comes with being a grandparent.  As the reader, “hopefully that just makes sense” for I’m quoting what Dad said to me when I asked Him to expand on it as well.  
More importantly, as Dad’s child, am I embracing a relationship with Him where I believe I can openly ask Him for anything I need?  And do I, in childlike faith, trust His judgment when He answers yes, no, or wait?  Sure, as His child, I’ll pout and tantrum sometimes(probably more than I’d like to admit)when He says no or wait.  In the end though, do I have a relationship with Him that knows He loves me even when I pout or tantrum, and knowing this allows me the freedom to eventually pout or tantrum myself into acceptance of His answer?  For the benefit of you as reader, I purposely left these questions unanswered to promote personal dialogue between Dad and you, much like He did for me. 
The next morning I woke up remembering this dream which was Dad’s way of telling me I needed to share it.  I got our boys ready for school and as my oldest raced out the door to the bus stop, below is a couple of pictures of what was in our front yard to greet us, completely unmoved by our pre-teen bolting past it:
As Mike opened the door, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and settling on him.  And a voice from heaven said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.”.....Matthew 3:16-17 personalized
If after reading this, you want to consciously begin to live a relationship with Dad like this(for the first time or in a more intimate way), click here, read, and respond as led to.  If you respond to this invite, have had similar dreams or other encounters with Dad, or wish to share any other comments here, please do so…..and may He continue to bless you all richly!

No comments:

Post a Comment